Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Day 10.351: Gardens Aglow

During the Christmas season, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens string half a million LED lights and open in the evenings for an event called Gardens Aglow. We'd heard about it several years ago, but a few days ago we saw that tickets were available for today - so we finally went. A friend of ours had tipped us off that the best tickets are for 4 pm because you get to see the garden and the lights in the twilight and then (if you stay a while) also in the dark, and that is what we did.

It was cold today - around 10°F (-12°C) while we were at the gardens. We bundled up in as many layers of thermal clothing as we could find and I decided to try my new GoPro in timelapse mode to take some hands-free photographs so I could keep my gloves on. It did pretty well while there was still some light:


After a brief spell in the warming room, we ventured out under the darkening skies. I wasn't sure how well the GoPro would do in the dark or how long the battery would hold out in the cold, so I braved some photographs with my DSLR - at least I could keep one of my two pairs of gloves on and operate that!

The combination made for some interesting moments and the GoPro caught a few good action shots too:


I loved the lights buried in the snow and yes we enjoyed some kettle corn to keep us going on the drive home.

Here are some DLSR photos:


Magical!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.