Sunday, March 14, 2021

Day 14.063: Exile #2's Sunday Column #337

Exile #2 writes...

Happy Mother's day to our Mums celebrating in the UK today! No celebrations for me but Exile #1 and I have spent a fun weekend digging into our ancestry online. We’ve discovered all sorts of intriguing little details, such as the fact that my great grandfather’s middle name was Christmas.

Perhaps the most fascinating things to find are the occupations given on census entries: on my side of the family I’ve found maids and miners, railwaymen, tailors, and shoemakers. Perhaps the most special for me are my grandfathers’ records. Both died before I was born, but reading their entries and hearing about their jobs - one as a bus driver/conductor/inspector and the other as a bakery manager adds a little color to the picture I have of them. Of course, there’s always something eye opening lurking somewhere in the family history. I’ll just say Wormwood Scrubs and leave it at that!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.