Sunday, March 5, 2023

Day 16.054: Exile #2's Sunday Column #430

Exile #2 writes...

When we first arrived in the US, food shopping was a bit of an ordeal. There were so many options for everything and I didn’t yet know what all the descriptive words implied. Well, it turns out that it’s not just a problem for the newbies.

The other day at the supermarket, I found a guy staring at the cheese fridge. He turned to me and just said the word “cheddar”. It wasn’t even a question. Just an expression of dismay.

The previous day, I had been stopped by a slightly forlorn looking gentleman who wanted to know if the bag of chocolate chips he was holding was the “normal” kind. When I paused, trying to imagine which of the many options (milk, semi-sweet, extra dark, white, dairy free, etc. etc) he might consider normal, he added that last time he’d gone home with really tiny ones and they were not right. I reassured him that the ones he had were not the tiny ones, although I decided not to muddy the water with any other details.

Sometimes, less is more and more is a lot.
Some regular-sized chocolate chips in a jar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.