Sunday, November 11, 2018

Day 11.305: Exile #2's Sunday Column #228

Exile #2 writes...

As Exile #1 mentioned, we spent last night around a very cozy wood stove, in the company of assorted singers, musicians, and dogs to enjoy some singing. We breezed through all manner of folk songs and spirituals: This land is your land, Take me home country roads, If I had a hammer, When the saints go marching in - you get the picture. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I knew almost all of the songs, even if I hadn’t sung some of them since I was in school. A few of them I even remembered from the community singing book that used to sit on my Nan’s piano. Later in the evening, we were invited to share a song, and so we sang our new one about the shipwreck of the Annie MacGuire. It went down well, particularly, to my delight, with the dogs who howled along in the final section!


Today, we have “winterized” a little, putting away the lawnmower and outdoor furniture, and hauling out the snow shovels and snowblower. There is no imminent threat of snow for us at the moment, but the inland parts of Maine have already had some, so it may not be long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.