Monday, January 27, 2020

Day 13.017: Outer Wilds: spoiler free review

Exile #2 bought me this charming independent Xbox game for my birthday and I absolutely love it! I completed the game (now E5N1 is playing it) but it's definitely good enough to tempt me back to explore some more.

The game is a free roaming exploration with a mystery-to-unravel plot but no real sequence to follow - just learn as you go. The story telling and discovery game play is the direct successor of those old text-based adventure games. "You are standing in front of an old box, what do you do?" but it's overlaid on a very satisfying physics-modeled flying and floating mechanic and a set of environments with varied physical challenges to go with the mental challenge of trying to work out what the heck is going on.

It's an engrossing and deeply satisfying game and unlike anything I've played in many years of computer and console gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.