Sunday, May 16, 2021

Day 14.126: Exile #2's Sunday Column #346

Exile #2 writes...

New experiences are becoming less frequent for us in the US, but last Friday brought a new, albeit sad, one for me - an American funeral. It was for a friend I made while helping at the local pantry. Until very recently she had been astonishingly energetic, independent - and very funny - despite being well into her 90s, so her service was definitely one of celebration.

We gathered outdoors at the cemetery due to COVID, but that actually made it rather special. The cemetery is the one where we like to take walks and it is full of beautiful old trees and birdsong. I had hedged my bets, going for muted tones rather than all black and wearing a scarf, in case I needed to cover my head (I knew she was catholic). In the end, I needn’t have worried. There was very little formality - rather like her really. I’m glad to have got to know her, and glad the celebration captured her so very well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.