Monday, October 5, 2026

Day 19.268: Birds from the boat

Apart from yesterday's life bird and a great shearwater that I missed with the camera for the second trip in a row, here are some other birds from yesterday's adventure:

Canada geese and common eiders

Surf scoters

Green-winged teal

J spotted this distant bird apparently chasing or being chased by a smaller bird. I was pleased that a photo helped confirm it was a peregrine falcon out over the shore as we left port. Another birder on the trip identified that both birds were immature peregrines.

Bald eagle

Black scoters

Northern gannet

Red-necked phalarope - a very quick flyby. I was far from sure I'd got a photo

Northern fulmar (tube-nosed bill visible)

Razorbill

It tried to take off and then faceplanted with a "I meant to do that" recovery

Atlantic puffin

Atlantic puffin

Atlantic puffin

Bonaparte's gull

Northern gannet

Northern fulmar

Wilson's storm-petrel

Although it was late to be seeing these birds, there were enough to see several in one shot like this

...and to get nice individual shots when they came close.

Razorbill

Common loon

Black guillemot (not particularly black at this time of year)

Black guillemot

It turns out that the phalarope was a life bird too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.