Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Day 19.269: Mammals at sea

I didn’t get a photo of harbor porpoises this time although I did see some. I didn’t even see the distant minke whale that apparently some did from our trip. 

We encountered a large pod of dolphins hunting as we headed out. Gannets were benefiting from the fish they were stirring up making them even more visible from a distance, but we went over to them. 



These are Atlantic white-sided dolphins. The naturalist on the boat estimated this pod was 30-50. 

We saw several more groups later and at least one was a mix of white-sided and short-beaked common dolphins. 

I’m not sure which these are:


The views we had were more impressive than the photos suggest. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics! Did you get them by chance, or take them on porpoise? (I'll get me coat...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stood on the deck I didn’t dolphin to join them

      Delete

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.