Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Day 17.090: Hiding (from) the sun

We arrived at our Kennebec River overlook around 12:30 - about two hours before the eclipse would start and three hours before our two minutes of darkness. Somehow, the fact that we were expecting clear skies didn’t register as “full sunshine” in our minds and we were poorly equipped for that.


We had no sunscreen, so had to stick to covering up. For me that meant keeping my sweater on even though it felt like a summer day. I also resorted to the winter hat I brought and fashioned into a makeshift peak so that Exile #2 could use my cap to keep the sun off her face. We looked quite the pair I’m sure. 



The location was lovely though and perfect for eclipse viewing. By 3 pm, there were lots of people there to see the spectacle (by which I mean the eclipse, not the Ill-prepared Exiles). As the light dimmed, even though it was hard to tell that the light was less until very late on, the temperature dropped considerably which was quite a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.