Friday, August 8, 2014

Day 7.210: Running update (it's not me, it's us)

This was taken a few minutes after I smashed my 10K personal record in the Beach to Beacon race a week ago:


I didn't run in the hat.

The days after a goal-race are always a bit difficult. It can be a bit anticlimactic and it's easy to get down or lose motivation. Fortunately I had two things on my side this time.

The first is that I've already signed up for my next race - a half-marathon in October. The second is that my morning runs have ceased to be a solitary affair.

For the last two weeks, the only run I've done without at least one of the kids joining me for the first mile or so was the race last Saturday. Even the two days in my schedule that were due to be rest days turned into 1.3 mile easy runs so that the kids didn't miss out. I don't quite know where this enthusiasm has come from, but I like it. They are doing quite well too - getting the hang of pacing themselves and knowing when to take a rest day etc.

As for me, my pacing is fine, but it's now 46 days since I last had a day when I didn't run at least a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.