Saturday, August 9, 2014

Day 7.211: Swim, gull, clam, castle, fly

After getting some chores done this morning, we headed to the beach.

As soon as we arrived, all three of the kids set off into the ocean. It was close to low tide and very calm - meaning that the sea is very shallow for a long way. I followed them down to the water's edge and for the first time in Maine, the touch of the water on my feet did not portend frostbite, so I followed them in. I went in far enough to swim for the second time this summer and we had a good time for quite a while in the cool but comfortable water.

As we were drying off, I saw this gull, flying twenty feet or so up into the air with this large clam in its beak and dropping it onto the sand. Occasionally having to pause to see off a meddling crow. We were somewhat skeptical that the soft landings on the damp sand were going to break the shell, but at the fourth attempt I watched, it must have worked.


Meanwhile, I set the kids the challenge of making a sandcastle without my involvement. They set about an ambitious project.  Unfortunately, a brewing storm meant that I had to get them to finish rather quicker than their project plan had anticipated. Still, they did a nice job:


You can see the clouds approaching! We got back to the car as the first raindrops were falling and, although there was no thunder as far as we heard, the rain came down heavily enough that we were happy to be on our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.