Sunday, August 10, 2014

Day 7.212: Exile #2's Sunday Column #17

Exile #2 writes...

Although, having moved to "vacationland", it is tempting to be on permanent vacation, normal life has to intrude occasionally. We spent much of this week stepping around power tools while a carpenter replaced our crumbliest woodwork and our sticky front door. Meanwhile, we got other jobs done such as visiting our new dentist and getting a hitch fitted to our car so that we can put a bike rack on it.

Today Exile #1 had the fun of assembling the rack, while I vacuumed much of Ferry Beach State Park out of our car. Then we spent half an hour loading and unloading bikes, punctuated by quizzical staring, before we were satisfied with the arrangement.

(after we took the bikes off again and folded it up)


Earlier in the week, the younger Exiles and I did manage one fun outing, however, to the local bowling alley to meet up with one of Exile #4's classmates from last year. My only experience of bowling up to this point has been that of ten pin bowling. I think it is safe to say, I am not a natural. I like to claim that my height (or lack thereof) puts me at a disadvantage and explains why I find the balls impossibly heavy. Occasionally, I have used the balls designed for children but then I just get my fingers stuck, which is embarrassing.

However, in Maine there is candlepin bowling, which is made for small people! Everything is small. The pins are small, the ball is small (you can hold it in your palm). It has some heft but you don't feel like some part of you is about to dislocate when you hold it. I'm guessing it is like British skittles (not American ones!) but I never played, so I can't be sure. Anyway, I think we may find our way back to bowl once in a while, trying not to be bankrupted by the other diversion that can be found there, an arcade with air hockey and a few other classic seaside games that look pretty similar to those I grew up with on the other side of the Atlantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.