Monday, February 5, 2018

Day 11.026: Mackworth Island nearly blew us away

While Exile #4 was counting food products yesterday, Exile #2 and I walked around Mackworth Island. For the first half of the way around, we were sheltered from the wind - we saw the odd iceberg floating in a sheltered cove and slipped a little on a few patches of ice hidden under the snow:


Then we came around the corner into the wind - and it was quite brutal. Since I had experienced some similar transitions during my run in the morning, I was not as surprised as Exile #2 who was - at first - convinced the wind had suddenly picked up. When we were just getting used to the wind, the path turned slightly inland - back into the shelter of the trees, but also slightly uphill. I found myself losing traction and sliding slowly back the way I'd come on an angled sheet of ice. Happily, I managed to control myself before too much ground was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.