Monday, October 11, 2021

Day 14.274: Sun dog rainbow day?

Today is National Coming Out Day. Looking back, I'm not proud of the way I responded the first time someone came out to me. It was a long time ago and although I certainly didn't have the worst reaction, I was still caught-up in a religious framework that considered homosexuality problematic.

By the next time I was in that position, I had settled my thoughts on the "rightness" or "righteousness" of gayness and I think I was a safe person by then - maybe that was a surprise but I suspect not. I'd become quite open in my allyship in a variety of situations.

In any case, it was hard not to see the parallel between this rainbow sun dog and today's "holiday" - so congratulations for those who are coming out (perhaps again) today and - if someone trusts and/or loves you enough to come out to you - I hope you will be more like 2010-ish me than like 1995-ish me or maybe you can do even better than that.

Early this evening - setting sun (right) and sun dog and part of the 22° halo (left) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.