Monday, March 11, 2024

Day 17.061: Impromptu water feature

While Exile #2 was taking Exile #4 back to college yesterday I kept hearing an odd sound - like a bath or washing machine emptying. It took me rather too long to realize it wasn't coming from any of our indoor plumbing but from the sump pump discharge.

To be fair, the sump pump in this house rarely runs and as far as I know I've never heard it before.

When I went to investigate, I saw that it was producing a lot of water with a great deal of force and - as a result of the non-issue nature of its past operation - straight down into the ground by the foundation.

This was the second revision of my construction to move the water further away from the house. I'm quite satisfied with it. The whole neighborhood seems to be having the same issue with various pipes steering water into driveways and storm drains.



Meanwhile, the basement carpet is a little damp but there is little apparent damage at this point. The shop-vac and dehumidifier are being called upon to dry the carpet, but I suspect it will be a losing battle until the ground water returns to normal levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.