Monday, July 23, 2018

Day 11.194: Scam Alert (a public service announcement)

I'm a fairly internet-savvy person. I read technical articles, undertake regular internet security training at work and I'm generally pretty careful.

Today, I received a very convincing email scam that had me wondering for a while. I recently heard that two of my also-fairly-well-informed friends got hit by the CEO scam and were nearly taken in.

Be aware of what is going on out there and don't be an easy mark!

The email I received was more convincing because it included an old password I had used in the past. Presumably this came from one of the many hacks that have occurred over the years.

If you are using the same password across multiple accounts associated with your email address or a password you have been using for a decade or more, please consider changing them all to independent, secure passwords. Perhaps like me you will consider it's time to use a password vault like DashLane, 1Password or LastPass.

Take care out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.