Sunday, September 6, 2026

Day 19.239: Birds at Halibut Point

Here are some birds I photographed on our two trips to Halibut Point State Park (Wednesday morning and Friday afternoon).

These were at the quarry:

Almost the first bird we saw was this green heron

We disturbed it a couple of times as we moved around the quarry, but only ever saw it flying away from us

Sleepy mallards

Great black-backed gulls bathing in the center of the quarry pool were a constant presence

They were joined by ring-billed gulls (and herring gulls) from time to time

Ring-billed gull

Great black-backed gull

Laughing gull

At the coast:

Laughing gull

Common eiders

Double-crested cormorants, American herring gulls and great black-backed gulls

Common eider

Double-crested cormorants

Elsewhere:

Wild turkeys

We saw many flycatchers - most probably eastern phoebes.

Some looking less tidy than others

This one is a least flycatcher

We heard at least one eastern wood pewee nearby, so I can't rule out that some of these were also pewees as they were all silent as far as I noticed

At one point I believe we had at least ten separate flycatchers in this area by the visitor center



We also saw quite a few cedar waxwings around the visitor center

...as well as in other places 

...sometimes in the same pose apparently

Northern mockingbirds

Blue jay

Downy woodpecker

Yellow-rumped warbler

He was very fast-moving and I was pleased to discover that I got a few good shots


House sparrow

Brown thrasher

Eastern towhee

Gray catbird

Red-eyed vireo

Red-eyed vireo - there were two but we only saw them once

House finch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.