My drive took me down the 17 (which turned quite windy through the mountains in the dark) until I got to the 1 ... later I would take a left on Dolan, straight over and then take the 101 North all the way up to San Jose, California. (Anyone else not able to think about driving in California without thinking of these sketches?)
The photography got a little easier as the light improved.

This is how that visit went (in addition to the sea otter):
![]() |
| In the first light - a whimbrel (Hudsonian) sighting - only a second life record I think and an excellent look in the low light |
![]() |
| California gull |
![]() |
| Long-billed curlew (I'd been hearing them since before the light was good enough to see them, but I quite like this first shot of one) |
![]() |
| Elegant tern (similarly vocal in the dawn light) |
![]() |
| I walked over the dunes to the beach and saw this gull harassing this common murre |
![]() |
| Sadly, we read that murre's have been struggling to find food out at sea after a successful breeding year |
![]() |
| Marbled godwit (also a second life-sighting) |
![]() |
| Marbled godwits |
![]() |
| Western gull with the godwits |
![]() |
| Godwit flyby |
![]() |
| California gull |
The photography got a little easier as the light improved.
![]() |
| Great blue heron |
![]() |
| Black-bellied plover |
![]() |
| Harbor seals |
![]() |
| Long-billed curlew |
![]() |
| Long-billed curlew |
![]() |
| Western gull |
![]() |
| Brown pelican |
![]() |
| Brandt's cormorant |
![]() |
| Brandt's cormorants |
![]() |
| A happier-looking common murre |
![]() |
| Splashing in the harbor entrance |
![]() |
| Elegant tern |
![]() |
| Loon (likely common) |
![]() |
| I liked this comparison of a long-billed curlew and a marbled godwit in flight |
For those keeping score on life birds from this short trip to the Pacific coast, there were three in yesterday's post (black phoebe, California gull & American avocet) and five more here (long-billed curlew, elegant tern, common murre, western gull & Brandt's cormorant).
* five hours may be an exaggeration, but the traffic is quite serious at times.



























I love this comment on that video: "My husband grew up in Los Angeles. I showed him this video and he kept interrupting to correct their directions."
ReplyDelete