Thursday, October 8, 2026

Day 19.271: Incidental birding

We’re in the UK for a brief visit. Today we were mostly sleepy, but we did spot some birds and I had a few minutes walking under some trees.

Here is my incomplete list for the day:

Feral pigeons - around the outside of the airport terminal 
Starling - one visited us as we waited for our rental car
Common magpie - several along the road
Red kite - showed up on cue as we approached Oxford
Jackdaw - one perched on a lamp in a car park. 
Wood pigeon - several as we drove around. 

Here is part of my Merlin sound list from my brief spell under the trees:

I saw the blue tit and got a blurry photo. I also clearly saw a great tit and recognized long-tailed tit by sound and saw movement that corresponded. I heard the robin, but the others I can’t say with any confidence. 

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I haven’t seen a Starling yet this month.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.