Monday, January 22, 2024

Day 17.012: Birds in Florida

My trip to Clearwater was pretty tightly scheduled with a mixture of work and fun, but I did have a few hours to myself when I first arrived, and took a short walk along the beach to see what birds I could see. Of course, I was armed only with my phone, so no super-zoomed shots, but I was able to fairly confidently identify most of them.

The two boat trips also yielded some shots - mostly of the cheeky birds trying to steal the fishing catch (or the offcuts from the fileting process).

At least one laughing gull, others could be Franklin's, double-crested cormorant (TR)

Boat-tailed grackle (male TL, female BR), ruddy turnstone (TR & BL)

Terns: royal (large with orange beak) and Forster's (smaller)

Willet (TL), sanderling (right) and nanday parakeets 

Left picture with zoomed region is a group of white ibis - hard to see from photo, but live the beaks were distinct (and distinctive). Right pictures are roseate spoonbills.

Brown pelicans - huge but impressively graceful.

A great egret (TL and BR), and a pair of snowy egrets (TR & BL)


2 comments:

  1. Very good result from a short walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it was perhaps a mile down the beach (and the same back of course) but quite productive!

      Delete

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.