Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Day 17.014: Fishing tales

1) The one who wanted to get away

This was one of my colleagues on the same boat. He had just found that his flight home for the next morning had been canceled and was trying to rebook as we headed out to deep water (about an hour at full speed). I happened to take this photo just as he pulled an impressive face. As to why he did so, a check of the horizon may explain…

The boat had just turned and rolled dramatically just as I took this picture - try holding the picture so that the horizon is level to get the real impression

He did eventually get a replacement flight, but after we were back to dry land.


2) The one that nearly got away

I've already posted a picture with my red grouper and revealed that we had to put it back because it was out of season. This was the first picture (I took it when one of our supervising professionals had just got it unhooked):


After that he offered to take my picture and showed me how to hold the fish like this. As I tried to hand him my phone, it became clear that I did not have a good grip and the fish gave a dramatic flip and I lost it completely, spilling it onto the edge of the boat where we all looked as it ... fell down into rather than over the edge of the boat. It could have gone either way.

Sadly (or not), no-one was ready with a camera at the time so that moment is the one that got away, They then found this mechanism so I could actually hold it for a photo.

Yes, thanks, a handle does make this significantly easier


Then I realized that I should hold it out toward the camera to make it look bigger and that is why I am laughing so hard in this previously published photo:


It was a fun afternoon excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.