Friday, July 3, 2015

Day 8.174: "Winter" and ...

We had a busy day - it was a day off work for Independence Day "observed" since tomorrow is Saturday. I have reports and photos from two outings, but they will wait.

I enjoyed this local beer this evening. It's not my favourite - a little too light for my taste even on a summer evening. Maybe I'll try it from the bottle with a chunk of lime "Corona-style" next time but it's extremely drinkable. Anyway, on the label it comments on there really being only two seasons here.


It's not the first time I've heard something like this.

Americans seem somewhat obsessed with the seasons. I remember a work-contact in Missouri commenting very early in our acquaintance that they had four distinct seasons there. This was some time before I moved to the US and I found it somewhat bemusing that it would be worthy of comment. Then there is the marking of the equinoxes and solstices with "First official day of ..." or "First full day of ..." whatever new season the astronomical event is ushering in.

A few months after our move to this country, we attended our first Fourth of July gathering, one of the attendees said to me, "You know we only have two seasons here."

"Oh yes?" I said, only partially surprised.

"Yes - 'winter' and 'the Fourth of July'!"

We'll do our best to make the most of it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.