Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 8.076: 70 mile week day 5: Change of plans

I'm documenting my first attempt to run a 70 mile week. It started on Monday.

I have a rule about running which is never to change my route part way. The reason is, after a few miles I seem to lose the ability to make sensible decisions about secondary things like route-planning. I wrote about some of my lack of clarity once. Of course, I already broke this rule this week for my speedwork on Tuesday.

Today, I set out to do a six mile loop. This short run meant I set my first alarm for 5 am - it felt like a lie-in! Just before the three mile loop I was approaching a level crossing when the lights started to flash and the barriers came down. I waited to see the train. If it was a passenger train I could probably wait and continue. It was not.

As the freight train came into view I decided to turn around and retrace my route to complete the approximately six mile route that way.  About a mile later I crossed under a bridge under the railroad - the train was still passing. I guess I made a good call.

Here's my week in context. I only plan for one more run this week - will I make the magic 70? We'll all find out tomorrow!


"Running" total: five days, six runs, 53.3 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.