Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Day 17.181: UK birding - final tally

As I mentioned before, I recently started keeping a life-list of birds I've identified (mostly also photographed). It was constructed recently mostly from posts on this blog and its predecessor and a few paper notes. The only birds not seen in the the US were a few I saw and identified on a trip to South Korea ten years ago, so I was able to add lots of fairly common birds to my list on this trip. Many have been previously posted. Here is the list:

Common swift
Red kite
Eurasian jackdaw
Eurasian collared dove
Dunnock
Magpie
Common blackbird
Western house martin
European robin
European goldfinch
White wagtail
European green woodpecker
Common pheasant
Spotted flycatcher
Grey heron
Black-headed gull
Greylag goose
Tufted duck
Moorhen
Eurasian blue tit
Great crested grebe
Common reed bunting
Song thrush
Common linnet
Rook
Yellow wagtail
Eurasian sparrowhawk
Egyptian goose
Little egret
Northern lapwing
Eurasian oystercatcher
Common chiffchaff
Sedge warbler
Eurasian chaffinch
Eurasian blackcap
Long-tailed tit
Sand martin (a.k.a bank swallow)

On our penultimate day, I added common buzzard and European greenfinch to the list. One buzzard was seen clearly while driving, but this is the only picture I got of (likely) another one with my phone. We were pleased to see them after so many red kites (spectacular though they are).

Here is a greenfinch on one of Dad's feeders:

Final tally: 39 for the list (as well as great tit, carrion crow and common kestrel which were repeats from Korea along with house sparrow, osprey, starling, great egret etc. that we see at home). We saw many young birds: white wagtail, goldfinch, robin, rook, tufted duck, osprey and probably others. Pretty good going.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I completely forgot that I have a whole post about that. I guess it's coming tomorrow - perhaps this wasn't quite the "final" tally 😊

      Delete

Anonymous comments allowed - Name (with optional URL) preferred.